Saints Peter and Paul Jesuit Church
Location Name: Saints Peter and Paul Jesuit Church (Detroit, Michigan)
Location Type: Church (Catholic)
Year Completed: 1848
Architect(s): Francis Latourneau
Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Church began when its cornerstone was laid in 1844. The church was consecrated as the Diocese’s second cathedral (the prior cathedral was Sainte Anne’s) on 29 June 1848. The structure was designed by local architect Francis Latourneau in the post-classical basilica style, of painted brick. A short square cupola tops the West Jefferson Avenue facade, the base of a spire that was never built.
In 1877, the church was given to the Society of Jesus (the Jesuits). The church and adjacent rectory became part of Detroit College (a Catholic college run by the Jesuits). Used as the cathedral church for several decades, Saints Peter and Paul was replaced by Saint Patrick’s Church (which was renamed Saints Peter and Paul Cathedral) as Detroit’s cathedral in 1890.
Saints Peter and Paul is the oldest existing religious building in the city of Detroit. Today the Jesuits still operate the church, and the school still exists under the name of the University of Detroit Mercy.
Saints Peter and Paul Jesuit Church was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.Sources