Christ Church Detroit
Location Name: Christ Church Detroit (Detroit, Michigan)
Location Type: Church (Episcopal)
Year Completed: 1863
Architect(s): Gordon W. Lloyd
Christ Church Detroit was founded in 1845 by a group that decided that Saint Paul’s Episcopal Church was too crowded. Detroit’s second Episcopal parish, Christ Church’s membership included many local notable families. With the support of a relatively wealthy congregation, architect Gordon W. Lloyd was hired to build the current structure on East Jefferson Avenue. In 1863 Christ Church Detroit was consecrated.
Built of sandstone and limestone, the Gothic Revival church also is home to two Tiffany windows. Next door, the 1848 Sibley House serves as the church’s rectory. Today, Christ Church is the oldest continuously used Protestant religious site in Detroit.
Christ Church Detroit was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.Sources