Saint Martin de Porres Catholic Church
Location Name: Saint Martin de Porres Catholic Church (Toledo, Ohio)
Location Type: Church (Catholic)
Year Completed: 1926
Architect(s): John T. Comes
Saint Martin de Porres Catholic Church began its life as Saint Ann’s Catholic Church. Now defunct, Saint Ann’s parish was established in Toledo in 1898. Toledo’s booming Catholic population soon required that Saint Ann’s parish split into two parishes to better accomodate parishoners, and Saint Teresa’s was formed in 1913. Still expanding, the decision was made to build a new church (the current structure) for the growing parish. Architect John T. Comes designed the Romanesque building and it was dedicated on 06 May 1926. Built of Plymouth granite, the exterior is trimmed with Indiana limestone.
Despite the growth of the 1920s, sixty years later the parish was falling on hard times due to a declining membership. Eventually the decision was made to re-combine the two parishes (Saint Ann’s and Saint Teresa’s) to make ends meet. The new, combined parish was established on 04 November 1990 and the name Saint Martin De Porres was chosen. The original Saint Ann’s Catholic Church building was chosen to be the home of the new parish, and it has been known as Saint Martin de Porres ever since.
Saint Martin de Porres Catholic Church was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.Sources