Cincinnati Art Museum
Location Name: Cincinnati Art Museum (Cincinnati, Ohio)
Location Type: Museum (Art)
Year Completed: 1886
Architect(s): James W. McLaughlin (original 1886 portion), and many others including Daniel H. Burnham, Frederick W. Garber and Clifford B. Woodward
The Cincinnati Art Museum was founded in 1881 and its home was completed in May 1886. The Romanesque-revival building was designed by Cincinnati architect James W. McLaughlin. When it opened, it became the first purpose-built art museum in the United States west of the Allegheny Mountains. Perched atop a hill in Cincinnati’s Eden Park, the beautiful building it calls home has been expanded several times; thanks to several generous benefactors. In its early years the museum’s collection quickly outgrew its space. In 1907 the Schmidlapp Wing was built to expand gallery space. In the 1930s, the completion of the Emery, Hanna, French and Alms Wings enclosed the courtyard and greatly increased the museum’s area.
The ever-expanding museum built the Adams-Emery Wing in 1965 and underwent a $13 million renovation in 1993. The newest addition was that of the 18,000 square-foot Cincinnati Wing in 2003. This portion of the building houses a permanent exhibit of art created for Cincinnati or by Cincinnati artists. Also in 2003 the museum dropped its general admission charge thanks to a generous grant from the Lois and Richard Rosenthal Foundation. Today the museum holds over 60,000 works of art in its collections; making the Cincinnati Art Museums’ the largest art collection in Ohio. With an annual attendance of approximately 250,000, it is also one of the busiest art museum’s in the state; behind only Cleveland and Toledo.Sources