Saint George Greek Orthodox Church

Image Number: 00311
<br>Detail of sanctuary lamp at Saint George Greek Orthodox Church
<br>
--Southgate, Michigan Image Number: 00312
<br>Interior of dome at Saint George Greek Orthodox Church
<br>
--Southgate, Michigan Image Number: 00313
<br>Detail of stained glass at Saint George Greek Orthodox Church
<br>
--Southgate, Michigan Image Number: 00314
<br>Sanctuary as viewed from choir loft at Saint George Greek Orthodox Church
<br>
--Southgate, Michigan Image Number: 00315
<br>Detail of stained glass window at Saint George Greek Orthodox Church
<br>
--Southgate, Michigan Image Number: 00316
<br>Close-up of wooden cross at Saint George Greek Orthodox Church
<br>
--Southgate, Michigan Image Number: 00317
<br>Dome reflecting on glass table at Saint George Greek Orthodox Church
<br>
--Southgate, Michigan

Location Name:  Saint George Greek Orthodox Church (Southgate, Michigan)

Location Type:  Church (Greek Orthodox)

Year Completed:  1982

Architect(s):  Laupmanis Associates

History:  

Saint George Parish was born on 07 June 1941. The first church to serve Saint George Parish was dedicated on 24 April 1955, after more than ten years of construction. This original church was located in the nearby city of Lincoln Park. In 1956, less than one year after the church was completed, a tornado destroyed the building. The parish relocated to nearby Calvary Lutheran Church, also in Lincoln Park where they remained until the current Southgate structure was built. The current church, designed by Laupmanis Associates was completed on 24 October 1982. Today the beautiful domed sanctuary stands out among the everyday architecture of the suburban community Saint George calls home. The church is also known for the attached banquet facility, the Grecian Center.

Click here to visit Saint George Greek Orthodox Church’s website.

Sources