Forest Hill Cemetery
Location Name: Forest Hill Cemetery (Ann Arbor, Michigan)
Location Type: Cemetery
Year Opened: 1857
Forest Hill Cemetery was founded in 1857 to be Ann Arbor’s premier burial ground; a product of the rural cemetery movement. The 65 acre cemetery was designed by Colonel James L. Glenn on land previously owned by the Chi Psi fraternity. This land was also the site of the nation’s first fraternity building; a hunting lodge built in 1849. With a Glenn-designed landscape plan, the cemetery’s gothic stone entrance was designed by James Morwick. In 1874, the stone house and office were added; designed by architect Gordon W. Lloyd.
Along with its historic significance, Forest Hill is also known for the variety of plant life that live within its gates. A 1998 inventory of the cemetery’s woody plants identified over 1,800 trees and large shrubs representing 64 different species.
As Ann Arbor’s most prestigious burial ground, Forest Hill is home to the gravesites of many notable people. Here is a brief list of some of Forest Hill’s famous ‘residents’:
- Samuel Willard Beakes (U.S. Representative from Michigan, 1913-1919)
- Alpheus Felch (Governor of Mchigan, 1846-1847)
- Bradley Francis Granger (U.S. Representative from Michigan, 1861-1863)
- Bo (Glenn) Schembechler (University of Michigan football coach, 1969-1989)
- Henry Franklin Thomas (U.S. Representative from Michigan, 1893-1897)
- Fielding Harris Yost (University of Michigan football coach, 1901-1923, 1925-1926)