Cathedral Abbey of Saint Anthony
Location Name: Cathedral Abbey of Saint Anthony (Detroit, Michigan)
Location Type: Church (Ecumenical Catholic Church of Christ)
Year Completed: 1902
The history of the current church structure dates back to the parish that built it over one century ago. In 1857, a church opened nearby to serve as the home of the Saint Anthony Mission (a mission of the nearby Saint Joseph Catholic Church). As Detroit grew from what was then the eastern outskirts of town, the need for a larger church was evident. On 18 July 1901 the cornerstone was laid for the current structure. The Romanesque Revival structure was designed by architects John M. Donaldson and Henry Meier. Built of terra cotta and red brick, the new Saint Anthony Catholic Church was dominated by its two gabled towers topped with copper crosses. The stained glass windows that decorate the nave were all made in 1902 and imported from Innsbruck, Austria. The large rose window above the front entrance depicts the all-seeing eye of God.
Despite the value of the structure and its history, depopulation and financial stress led to the Archdiocese’s closure of Saint Anthony parish in 2006. After a few years on the market, a buyer was found in the relatively new Ecumenical Catholic Church of Christ. In 2010, the church became known as the Cathedral Abbey of Saint Anthony and has served as the cathedral church for the ECCC in the United States. Primate Archbishop Karl Rodig (founder of the ECCC) heads the parish at Saint Anthony and is helping restore the historic church as well as make a difference in the struggling neighborhood it calls home.Sources