First Congregational Church (Columbus)

Image Number: 00550
<br>Sanctuary at First Congregational Church
<br>
--Columbus, Ohio Image Number: 00551
<br>Sanctuary at First Congregational Church decorated for Palm Sunday
<br>
--Columbus, Ohio Image Number: 00552
<br>Detail of pulpit at First Congregational Church
<br>
--Columbus, Ohio Image Number: 00553
<br>Detail of wood carving on pulpit at First Congregational Church
<br>
--Columbus, Ohio Image Number: 00554
<br>Sanctuary and pipe organ at First Congregational Church
<br>
--Columbus, Ohio

Location Name:  First Congregational Church (Columbus, Ohio)

Location Type:  Church (Congregational)

Year Completed:  1931

Architect(s):  John Russell Pope

History:  

The history of the First Congregational parish began in 1852 when some members of the Second Presbyterian Church decided that they were Congregational at heart and parted to form the Third Presbyterian Church. In 1856 the congregation changed their name to First Congregational Church and it remains under that name today. In 1857 they built their church just across East Broad Street from Capitol Square, about half a mile west of the current structure. They remained in that location until the current Neo-Gothic building was dedicated on 06 December 1931. Designed by architect John Russell Pope, the new structure was completed at a cost of just over $1,000,000.

Click here to visit First Congregational Church’s website.

Sources