Olentangy Indian Caverns
Location Name: Olentangy Indian Caverns (Delaware County, Ohio)
Location Type: Cave
Year Discovered: Not known, Re-discovered in 1821
Architect(s): Mother Nature
The Olentangy Indian Caverns were formed millions of years ago as an underground river slowly carved its way through the subterranean limestone rock. The cave is made up of at least three levels with the fourth being the underground river that created the system. It is known that the caverns have been used by Native Americans; notably the Wyandotte tribe, for many years. They used the caverns for shelter from the weather as well as protection from their enemies. Evidence found in the cave tells that the Wyandotte used the cave to produce weapons as late as 1815. Council Rock, a formation in the caverns, was used for tribal ceremonies.
As the Americans pushed further westward into what was then Indian Territory, they eventually reached the land above the caverns. The first white man known to have entered the caverns was J. M. Adams in 1821. Part of a westward wagon train that had stopped in the area briefly, Adams found the cave when his wandering ox fell through the cave entrance. He inscribed his name on the cave walls before moving on. Today the cave is open to tourists as it has been since 1935.Sources