Location Name: Arnold Home (Detroit, Michigan)
Location Type: Abandoned Site (Senior Care Home)
Year Completed: 1932
The history of the Arnold Home begins in 1899. It was in that year that Rev. C. L. Arnold opened a care home on Grand River Avenue in Western Detroit. The purpose of the home was to provide for seniors, those with terminal cases and the infirm. With growing demand on the Arnold Home, the decision was made to build a larger facility to serve the growing needs of the center. In 1932, the new Arnold Home was opened on West Seven Mile Road.
This new building, the one this photo set comes from, served as a mixed use hospital and senior care facility for several decades. In the 1960s, an addition was built to the rear of the 1930s building. This addition boosted the Arnold Home’s capacity to 224 beds. It is unclear exactly what led to the closure of the Arnold Home, but sometime around 2004 the building fell silent. Today it still stands, open to vandalism and scrappers. The building is filled with eerie reminders of the lives that once lived in its halls. From patient’s rooms to those used by the staff; the personal effects and paperwork that are left behind serve to conjure up images of the humanity that resided here not so long ago. No talk seems to be focused on the future of this structure so it appears as though the Arnold Home will continue to stand silently; hidden by the overgrown landscape that protects its aging face from the gaze of those who pass by.Sources